Sunday 6 March 2011

Quickie post: Rhubarb crumble



OK, it's probably a little odd to start with a picture of an empty dish, but that's just how popular this dish was. Sticky, tart rhubarb crumble, vivid pink juices oozing through a crisp, crumbly crust. Honestly, you would have loved it.

Anyway, this post goes out to my friend Tina. She and I spent a very happy afternoon at her allotment, turning over the soil, making plans and pulling weeds and I came away with an armful of the most beautiful rhubarb.  It became a wonderful pudding that even Gorgeous Boy - who, on hearing that rhubarb was technically a vegetable declared himself against it - DEVOURED with gusto.


For four

150g wholewheat flour
75g cold butter, cubed
1 tsp dried ginger
2 tbsp sugar
6-8 stalks rhubarb – mine were small-ish -  sliced
sugar to taste*
zest and juice of one orange


First make the crumble mixture. Rub the cubed butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, stir in the ginger and sugar. Put the rhubarb in a deep dish with as much sugar as you feel comfortable using (*rhubarb is undeniably tart. I’m don’t mind sugar as an occasional treat – better that than some chemical substitute - so I was generous, here, and probably used a couple of tablespoons). Scatter the orange zest and juice over the top of the fruit, then scatter the crumble mixture over the top. Bake in an oven pre-heated to 180C for 35-40 minutes, then serve.

Family friendliness rating: I think the empty dish speaks for itself

Cleanup rating: One dish, in the dishwasher as I write

Can I freeze it? I would think so, either before or after it’s cooked

No comments:

Post a Comment